Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The End of the Logo of Jan 31


Here is the completed mock logo (First version was posted on Jan 31). And here is the story and explanation behind it.
--
(This is fictional.)
--
A new organization in Provo Utah called 'Laptop Technology Development' contacted me for help. They wanted to have a logo for their organization. They heard that I do cartoons, logos and illustrations and that I am into technology. And that I am a part of the Society for Technical Communication.
--
They offered me a grand sum for which I would help them develop an appropriate logo. They would use it in their literature and publicity and that they would use it to help their online presence (for example, on their Web site).
--
I agreed to do this work for them.
After all of the papers (non-disclosure agreements, contracts, ...) were signed and delivered, I began working on the project -- there was much back and forth between me and their people. Most of this communication consisted of mock-ups of designs that I drew. I needed detailed feedback.
--
We finally agreed on the design shown here.
The beginning of this logo was posted on January 31.
--
What is 'Laptop Technology Development' ? It is a large Usability/Human Factors Lab and research organization in the West. After a company has developed a laptop, the machine get shipped to LTD in Provo for specialized testing.
--
More of this fictional story to follow, with explanations about the logo (for example, to me, this logo has a certain very obvious, 'hand-made' and technical quality, which I believe serves the interest of the client. Could this logo have had a finer, neater, more mod appearance? Certainly. But I designed it to look the way it does because I believe that it appropriately communicates to the clients of LTD--and I had to learn about the business of LTD and what their clients are looking for -- none of this was a small matter) ...
--
By the way, the circle and the 7 point star with rounded points are indeed a part of the logo.

No comments: